Why do I do this again?
1 Sep 07 4 Comments
Things that happened during the flight with my mother:
1) we ended up without a VFR chart for the majority of the area we were flying over
2) my boyfriend and I descended into major arguments about basic planning (mainly based on heat and nerves rather than actual issues)
3) my mother corrected an Italian Air Traffic Controller when he told me what time it was
4) Austrian ATC gave me a five minute lecture on the radio with every other pilot flying over the Alps sniggering quietly and feeling relieved that it wasn’t them.
5) The auto-pilot died completely
Other than that, it went really well. Honest.
What did the Italian ATC bloke say in response?!
He was very confused and I interrupted fast! She didn’t realise that everything is on Zulu (GMT) but I managed to sort it out without an international incident. ;)
I had not been informed about Zulu! But since noone pays attention to anyone over 50 anyway, it was another incident of “no harm – no foul”
if it’s not one thing, it’s your mother